
Emily Day was born ninety three years ago on this very day on a farm in Ireland. During these ninety three years, Emily became our "Nani". She overcame obstacles to marry her husband and had five children, including my mother. After my grandfather died, Nani came to live with us in Florida. I was fortunate enough to even share a bedroom with Nani until I was eleven. I'll never forget staying up late at night with her to watch such great shows like "The Golden Girls", "Empty Nest", and "Unsolved Mysteries". After our move to Birmingham, I would still visit with Nani and our dog (really her dog!), Daisy, every night before going to sleep in my own room.

My baptism day in 1982
(L-R: Grandma, Erin, Mom, Megan in Rosemary's Lap, Ryan, Nani)
Nani taught me to appreciate a good cup of tea, the importance of family, and our Irish heritage.

Last Thursday, my mother and father were with Nani as she took her last breath here on Earth.
Dad described her passing the best. "Rest in peace, Emily Day. Nani is already enjoying a heavenly tea with Tom and my Mom and Dad, while Charlie ices down the Schaeffer beer. We love you Nani!"
No comments:
Post a Comment