Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Make New Friends but Keep the Old...


Two weeks ago my good friend, Lora, threw baby James a shower in Florida. It was wonderful catching up with family and friends who played such a large role in my childhood. Lora did an amazing job with the decorations and the food was incredible. Two highlights from the weekend included receiving my gift from Lora's son (see above) and catching up with my friend, Ashley.

When I was ten, I spent my first day away from my mother and Nani with my next door neighbor, Lora. Little did we know that Lora would go into labor that day with her first born son, Drake! I watched in amazement as she calmly did her hair and applied her makeup (trust me-that was not a common sight in Florida!). After Drake came home from the hospital, I spent countless hours cleaning their house (earning me the nickname Cinderella) and reading my Bernstein Bears books to Drake. Drake loved reading so much that I decided to give him my entire collection. It's hard to believe that Drake is now a freshman at the University of Florida. I was so surprised when I opened a box from him and saw my original Bernstein Bears books. He said he loves to read to this day because I spent  so much time reading to him. He wanted me to pass that gift on to my son. I still get misty eyed thinking about his sweet gesture.

Ashley and  I have been friends since 1982. Ashley's mom, Sue, was my dad's first assistant. Our parents have been friends for years and we've celebrated everything from birthdays to weddings together. Ashley is now the proud mother of two beautiful children. Before we know it, Ashley and I will be celebrating our own childrens' birthdays and weddings together!


No comments:

Post a Comment